Thursday, December 2, 2010

Dr. Boyce Watkins - How Sports Marginalizes Black Men from Society

BRANDON JENNINGS SITTING DOWN

by Dr. Boyce Watkins, Syracuse UniversityScholarship in Action 

 

I was driving out of Atlanta the other day, speaking to my baby sister.  She listens to me ramble, and that’s why I love her.  Our topic for the day was black men and sports.  I mentioned how I turned on ESPN in my hotel room (all 10 million channels) and saw nothing but brothers on every channel. If there wasn’t a court full of black men dribbling a basketball, there were black men in pads banging each other up on the football field.

The presence of Americanized Apartheid was evident by noting that while the men doing the work were black, the men on the sidelines getting paid millions of dollars were white, as were the fans in the stands enjoying the entertainment.

 

Click to read.

No comments: