Monday, April 7, 2008

My Life as a Subway Employee


I never thought I would be working in fast food. Making other people’s food wasn’t in the plans. I work at Subway for three reasons: I need the money, it’s close to my school and they work around my hectic schedule. And the free food I take home after every shift. It’s a decent gig for a person like me who hasn’t done fast food before. At the end of the day it’s a paycheck and a foot long Ham & Cheese on wheat. I graduate in December so I don’t plan on making veggie wraps my whole life. Trust me, I will be in somebody’s grad school or place of employment by January.

These are the Top 5 Things I Dislike about Customers.

Please feel free to respond.

1. Don’t Ask for Outrageous Things.

I had one lady order a tuna sandwich with the following ingredients. She wanted light lettuce, 4 olives, 2 tomatoes, 3 yellow peppers, 8 olives, 1 strand of mayonnaise, 3 squirts of mustard and finally she wanted me to cut it in sixths. I forgot to mention I had a line of 10 people behind her with similar tastes.

2. You’ve Been Standing in Line for over 5 Minutes….What Do You Want?

I can tell when someone hasn’t been to Subway that much/at all because they’ll ask me “What’s good here”. For people who don’t fit this description you need to come in with something in mind and ORDER. I have 5 like-minded people behind you waiting to order and I have other behind the scenes duties to accomplish. Stop wasting my time and ORDER. The worst person is someone who gets offended when you POLITELY ask them to let somebody else order because they are holding up the million people behind them. Please know what you want. “Uhhhhhhhhh let me see uhhhhhhhhhh” is not the answer I’m looking for.

3. The Customer Can Be Wrong

I do make mistakes sometimes. But in those events when YOU are wrong please be man/woman enough to admit when you are wrong. As a customer and food service employee I know both sides of the game. Sometimes it is the employees fault but sometimes its YOUR fault as the customer. If you asked for light mayonnaise instead of heavy mayonnaise, don’t be mad at me if you made a mistake.

4. Why Are You Mad at Me? I Don’t Order the Food

In any high-volume fast food place there will be shortages from time to time. Most of the time these problems can’t be fixed readily because either the shipment only comes in at a certain time of day or we can’t get any more product from another neighboring store. When customers say things to me like “Why don’t you have this or that? YOU SHOULD HAVE IT” or my favorite “You mean to tell me you’re out of (insert any item); don’t you think people would order (insert any item)”

I make the sandwiches. I’ll let my assistant or head manager know that we are out of these items but that’s the best I can do. Why are you arguing with the lowest guy on the totem pole? I don’t have any kind of power to get you these items. I wish I could because I know what its like to have your mouth set on something and your place of choice doesn’t have it. Your best bet is to voice your concerns with the person who can actually do something such as a MANAGER. I just make the sandwiches. Period

5. You Can’t Eat ¾ of the Sandwich and Expect A Refund

This should be self explanatory but some idiot will eat ¾ of a sandwich and bring it in to me for a refund or a new sandwich. You should know if a sandwich is improperly made or nasty after 2 bites. Don’t eat most of the sandwich and complain to me. Are you serious?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I worked at the Arch while in college so stupid people are all around us. My favorite question was Am I going to die on this ride? I said to them there's always the possibly but would you really risk your life for a 4 minute $8 ride...I hope not.

Be happy that this is your college job, it would suck if you were 40 having to put up with this BS, but then again in today economy any job is a good job LOL :)

Naeesa said...

I love it! I want to meet the lady with the one strand of mayo! Stop eating that swine tho bruh.