Saturday, April 26, 2008

Can We Talk?


www.dcsouth.com

Google is an amazing thing. You can find almost anything on it. Just type in your topic of choice into google and you are bound to get a website dedicated to it. Go ahead and try it. It's amazing. The internet is a remarkable venue for getting information on various topics that you care about. Except for a few important ones.

Let's look at the other side. What must you conclude when you google a topic and very little comes up? When the google engine doesn't find a website that caters to your topic what does that say about society thinks about it?

Even more frightening is when a topic like "celebrity gossip" will have many more websites dedicated to it than whatever you can think of.

But go ahead and type in "Race Dialogue" into google. Try "Let's talk about Race." You have to look hard to find some websites dedicated to that, reflecting two things: 1) there aren't that many websites dedicated to this issue and 2) those that do exist are not that popular.

How do we expect to make any progress if there is never a moment when a black man looks the receptive white man in the eye and tells him the goddamn truth!

How do we expect to grow when the white woman never gets to express how often she is ignored because she is seen as bland and uninteresting?

How do we expect to move forward when the white man never has the chance to be honest because he is automatically seen as the one with all of the rights and benefits of this society (even if that is true)?

How do we get past where we are now when the black woman doesn't openly talk with the black man about gender, the white woman about race and the white man about either?

How do we expect to see a better future when the other races haven't had the real chance to express their issues fully to anyone because of the societal tendencies towards the Black-White paradigm?

Lord have mercy...

Can those of us who are willing just get in a room and TALK!?!?!

PLEASE!?!???!!

Where are those black men who are strong enough right now to hear a white man say "racism is dead" and while being enraged still be able to calmly respond with "Can we openly and honestly talk about that?" Where are YOU? I KNOW you are out there!

Where are the white women who have the courage to look a man in the eye and say, "I have been disrespected for years. I think this is OUR problem. Can you respectfully converse with me about this issue or do I need to find a better man to talk to?" Where are YOU? I KNOW you are out there!


Where are those white men who are insightful enough to see their inherent advantages, but introspective enough to see their own struggles to express to everyone that "I know I have many bonuses in this country, but I also have problems too. I am just and am willing to listen and fight for your cause. Can you hear about my issues as well?" Where are YOU? I KNOW you are out there!


Where are those Black women who are powerful enough to say to all of the aforementioned people, "I have issues with all of you. I will make the time to sit with each of you and talk about this. It's that important." Where are YOU? I KNOW you are out there!


And when will everyone else find within themselves the spirit to say "What about us? We have been ignored. Are we not here? I know the history of this society and am willing to help you. Can you help me too?" Where are YOU? I KNOW you are out there!

Can We Talk?!?!

Is this not common sense? If I pick a room, will you meet me there? Or do I need to ask someone else who is stronger and able to talk for real?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I found this website through google and I am white. I believe all men are equal but I also see how whites have advantages at times. I understand the reasons some black people dislike/distrust white people, but it sadens me when a black person refuses to shake my hand or converse with me simply because I am white. I understand some white people may treat you unkindly, but not all. I really wish I could meet some people and intellegently discuss the issues that face us as different races. Maybe the key to eliminate all racism begins with understanding.
-dave

Aris Winger said...

Dave,

I am sorry for not getting back to you in a reasonable time. I hope this message finds you well. We indeed should continue this conversation. Please send me an email so we can keep it going. It's abwinger@yahoo.com or awinger@dcsouth.com. I look forward to talking to you about this and thus making our country a little better because of it.