Saturday, February 16, 2008

Tavis Smiley's Response to Obama's Camp


Someone sent this over to YourBlackWorld in response to the reactions of readers to our previous posts about the rift between Smiley and Obama. We thank them for this submission.


Senator Barack Obama and the State of the Black Union 2008
Tom Joyner Morning Show
Thursday, February 14, 2008

By now many, if not most of you, have either read or heard about the letter faxed to me by Senator
Barack Obama yesterday to officially inform me that he would not be attending the State of the
Black Union symposium next Saturday, February 23, in New Orleans, live on C-SPAN. The letter
was apparently made public on the Internet by the Obama campaign.
This morning a few thoughts now about the letter, about Senator Obama and for that matter, about
Michelle Obama.
First, I want to thank Senator Obama for his letter, although I regret his decision. I said on Tuesday
and I reiterate today, that I believe that this is a critical miscalculation and a missed opportunity.
Having said that, I also feel that should Senator McCain or Governor Huckabee, like Mr. Obama,
end up denying our invitation to appear at this annual Black think tank, it would also be for them as
well, in the long run, a critical miscalculation and a missed opportunity.
Particularly for Senator John McCain, who appears to now be the presumptive Republican nominee
and who decided, as you recall, not to appear last year before Black America in Baltimore.
Indeed, I personally expressed that sentiment to Senator McCain earlier this week. Don’t think that
in the general election, should he be the nominee, that he ain’t going to get reminded frequently that
he kept passing on opportunities to speak to Black and Brown audiences. That’s pretty much
Political Science 101. That’s going to happen, trust me.
Two. For the record, with regard to this letter and the statements made therein, my office was never
contacted by the Obama campaign offering Michelle Obama as a proxy speaker. It never happened.
No letter. No fax. No e-mail. No phone call. No document whatsoever from the Obama camp to
my office, ever, regarding Michelle Obama. She was never offered, it was never discussed.
Three. While I have great admiration and affection for Michelle Obama, had she been offered to us
I would have respectfully declined. Just as we would have declined had Hillary Clinton offered Bill
Clinton; had John McCain offered Cindy McCain; had Mike Huckabee suggested Janet Huckabee.

By any measure, by any measure, Michelle Obama’s personal story is empowering and inspiring. I
am moved by her personal story, as I have been, since I first met her. From the South side of
Chicago to Princeton, to Harvard Law, it is a quintessential American story of overcoming.
That said, last year at Howard, live on PBS, we spoke to candidates only. And that’s what we intend
to do next Saturday, February 23, in New Orleans, live on C-SPAN, speak to candidates only, with
all due respect.
And speaking of Howard, point number four. When we invited Senator Obama last year to
Howard, with all of the other announced Democratic candidates at the time, so many people, so
many people, said publicly, that Tavis is stacking the deck in Obama’s favor. Black college. Black
book. Black audience. Black journalists. Black moderator. “Smiley is stacking the deck for
Obama,” they said.
The Washington Post Editorial Board said that to me to my face. “Aren’t you stacking the deck for
Mr. Obama?” Now, eight months later, another simple invitation, along with all the other
remaining viable candidates, and now he’s being boxed in by me?
Respectfully, that dog just won’t hunt. Because by that logic, at this point in the campaign, any
gathering of Black thought-leaders, opinion-makers and influencers who invite Senator Obama to
appear on stage at a nationally televised event, that invitation --- in and of itself, given that logic ---
would be tantamount to “boxing him in.”
This was simply an invitation, nothing more. There has not been, there is not now, nor will there
be, any effort on my part to snap on the Obama campaign, or the McCain campaign or the
Huckabee campaign, if they choose not to attend. It was just an invitation to him and every other
candidate. Accept or reject. An invitation, nothing more, nothing less.
I’ve lost count now of how many debates the Democrats have had to address other issues that, in
fact, do matter to us. But I can tell you exactly how many times they’ve gathered to specifically
address our issues. There is no comparison.
Point number five. Senator Obama is on a mission. As he suggested in his letter, his mission is to
become the next President of the United States. And I ain’t mad at him. As I’ve said before, and I’ll
say it again, I revel in his historic run for the White House. As a Black man, I celebrate his past
accomplishments. I celebrate his future aspirations.
Respectfully, I knew Barack Obama long before most of us learned to pronounce his name
correctly. So long ago, in fact, that years ago Barack Obama was working with the kids in my
Foundation, speaking to them about leadership development way back when.
I have no personal animus toward Barack Obama.
To quote that great philosopher, George Wallace, “I love him and there ain’t nothing he can do
about it!” That said, I love Black people, too. And I have a vocation. I have a calling. I have a
purpose. And since this ain’t just about me, you have a purpose too. You have a calling, you have a
vocation as well.

And I would hope, this morning, that at the center of our collective calling, is an unconditional love
for Black people. His job right now is to get elected. Our job is to do our part to ensure that
whoever gets elected will be held accountable to the issues that matter most to Black people.
And in that regard, all that I have ever tried to do, with the media platforms, including this one, that
I have been blessed to have access to, is to attempt to speak a love language, to ask critical
questions, to engage in sober assessment and to counsel wise enthusiasm.
If Barack Obama is your candidate, I ain’t mad at you! If Hillary Clinton is your candidate, I ain’t
mad at you! I am not personally in the endorsement business. My small part is to engage in
Socratic questioning. As a Black person, a member of the media, I’ve said many times on this
program, my job is to ask questions, raise issues, address topics, and profile people that otherwise
wouldn’t get that kind of air play.
Now, as the old folk used to say, “I done spoke my piece.”
Senator Clinton has decided to join us. Senator Obama has decided not to. Senator McCain and
Governor Huckabee, we shall see.
But once again, it has never, ever been about them. It has always been about us. We cannot
confuse candidates with the cause. The cause of suffering Black people who are catching hell every
day.
So, I personally; I can only speak for Tavis, I personally have no intention, no interest in discussing
this matter beyond this commentary no matter what’s said about me. Except to promote the
Symposium, which I’ve done every year for almost 10 years now.
I’m told by the folk in the Lt. Governor’s office in Louisiana that it looks like we will have the
largest gathering of volunteers for a single day next Friday on our Day of Service, since Katrina hit
back in 2005. That’s what matters. Loving and serving everyday Black people.
Our conversation next Saturday promises to be spirited, soulful and inspiring.
Finally this morning, as I always say...today, more than ever...love wins. Love wins. Love wins.
Happy Valentine’s Day!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Greetings Brothers and Sisters;

I appreciate many of the thoughtful remarks that so many took the time to write. Although I don’t have much faith in the American political and economic systems in terms of improving the lives of most African Americans, I really hope that Senator Obama gets the Democratic nomination and makes it to the White House. I view Obama’s run as truly historical, in terms of electoral politics, but not to be compared with the historical relevance of such greats as Malcolm or Martin. I understand Senator Obama is a politician, and as such, he will make compromises that King or Martin would never make and never have to make. Still, based on his record, I give him the benefit of the doubt that he will do more, or attempt to do more, for us than most if not all of the white politicians would, including the Clintons (although I liked Dennis Kucinich’s platform). Some presidents, such as Bush have made the lives of many of us worst off (by the War in Iraq, court appointments, and cuts in social programs). In my opinion, no President, including Bill Clinton, has really improved the lives of most African Americans. Too many of us gave Bill Clinton unconditionally support (until his recent race baiting). But remember, Bill Clinton signed the “three strikes and you are out” legislation that affects mainly African Americans, initiated welfare “reform” that hurt the poor, and approved the unjustified bombing of a pharmaceutical plant in Sudan, an African country based on erroneous intelligence data that it was a weapons factory. Hillary’s Clinton’s appearance at the State of the Black Union will be because she needs more African American votes, not because of her love or concern for African Americans.

Obama has to strike a delicate balance of trying to attract white support without alienating the Black community. In terms of his securing the democratic nomination, it is more critical for him to campaign in those states where the primary elections are still upcoming. If he is to be elected, he needs more white and Latino votes in those states. He is already carrying over 80% of the African American vote. I do not interpret his absence at the State of the Black Union Conference to be a snub of Tavis or African Americans. Don’t you critics realize that the man is running for President? If he is to run a smart election, then the first thing he needs to concentrate on is getting elected. And he can’t do that just on African American votes. (Is Obama’s absence at the SOBU Conference any different from Tavis Smiley holding his book signing in the New Orleans area at a white owned Barnes and Noble Store on the outskirts of New Orleans rather than at a Black owned book store such as the Community Book Store in New Orleans that is trying to reestablish clientele after Katrina?)

I have always tuned in to the State of the Black Union Conference on C Span, and I registered to attend this year’s conference for the first time, and the day of service that precedes it to help rebuild New Orleans. I know that I will honor my commitment for the day of service. At this point, I am still pondering whether or not to attend the conference itself because of Tavis’ actions concerning Obama. I would appreciate your feedback on attending State of the Black Union.

Peace and Love,
A Brother on the Bayou

Anonymous said...

I have one thing to say to Mr. Travis.

You are black person’s worst nightmare.



Please do the black community a favor and leave out 'BLACK' from any book you write or any event that you give. I think you have made enough money from just being black and Just Talk.

It is clear that you do not represent the majority of the black community. Because we vote OBAMA.

You left us.
BYE!

Black woman from CA.

Anonymous said...

How wrong people are today were has the love gone has anybody heard of doing whats right for all or does history today always says it is all about race how wrong you are .I know of all the wrongs from our pass but to live it today is foolish.My opinion Obama is a back stabbing liar and builts his run on drug money supplied thru hip hop and the sale of boot leg music mostly thru BMG and because he trust the so called works of music producer Scott Storch and his fake web sites that sells lies to us all.(white} and the songs from a white hooker from Mi.Prison name Beyonce,Moore,ect. real white name Amy Stevens .They set back and laugh and call us black fools raking in our money in real life they are drug dealers working for a organize criminals from the media.Obama does not care about the blacks as he states he is to busy collecting your money yes as a nation we do need change and to start by stop selling us short .Do you see lighting bolts flying from his ass he is just another human being and preaching us lies.Change as we are broke as a nation will take more time then Obama's promises but and just but this has to be done ,bring our troops home,stop spending money on mass destruction,we can and must have national health care .Stop worring about every body else in the world untill their is not another crying baby from lack of food and not another senior eating pet food because their meds cost more then they rec. Wake up Americans and be Americans people that care and people of great morals at home and in the public everyday...

Anonymous said...

I'm no fan of Tavis, but my question right now is is there ANY legitimate "inter-communal" critique of Obama or his candidacy that will be accepted by those who are jingoistically supporting him? Is there no sacrifice of principle or historical reality that is too great, in the face of getting the keys to the White House? As was said by one of our revolutionary elders, "if you don't stand up for something, you'll fall for anything." I remember when I was growing up with my critique of King and the civil rights movement. I paid a dear price for saying what was true then and what is true and born out sociologically now; that the nonsensical rhetoric of "integration" short-circuited the idea of equal opportunity and left our communities completely unprepared for the social, political, and economic structural requirements of the 21st century. Now even supporters of the civil rights regime and its archaic "junta" are coming around.
Those in the hood knew there had been critical failures, even at the time. Yet, the vested interests of the "black intelligentsia" and the "black bourgeoisie" were so tied to the alleged "success, we have overcome"
transcript that to admit defeat or failure would have invalidated all their individual gains at our collective expense. Having failed miserably, I saw them hitch their cart to the Jackson candidacy which I took flack on again for saying that it both had no chance of getting the nomination and involved "rainbow coalitions" that were thin coverings for white supremacy. It didn't get the nomination, the fake liberal coalition driving it collapsed, most of those Euro-american voters joined the Clinton machine, and finally, Jackson got hit with the same Farrakhan and apologize and cajole Euro-american Jews transcript that Obama has got to play with. The dead mule has been hitched again, this time to Obama and again the myth of the "holy grail" has been resurrected and it seems the same people see it as their divine duty to go after any Afrikan, particularly men, who dare to suggest that while the emperor might be a hell of a guy, his apparel is a bit lacking. While they go out of their way to set rules and regulations for critique, their purpose seems to be to de-legitimate any critiques so that the multiplicity of voices in the African community are reduced to a monologue.
The irony is that Obama is less a "King" of politics, than a "Tiger Woods" or "Colin Powell" of politics and those who are trying to stifle dissent may find themselves critics of an Obama administration later. The tragedy is that they will have then de-legitimated even their own standing to talk, having revealed themselves as shortsighted in their own advocacy as those they rail against. As, simply put, hypocrites. Tavis does seems self-interested at times, but is it possible NOT to be so self-interested and still see reason to stop the "Obamatrain" at the station for a little Afrikan inspection (introspection)? More importantly, can Obama's Afrikan supporters believe it is possible? If not, we have lost our methodology for ever achieving freedom, for if it is to be achieved, it is to be achieved in our ability to critique, to disagree, but recognizing that our struggle towards divinity is characterized by dialectical reasoning, not the enforcement of groupthink or ideological conformity.
I am more than happy to share the Afrikan conceptual planet with those who think that Obama's advent is the second coming. The question is..are those who so believe willing to share ground with those of us who love Afrikan people and out of that love feel equally compelled to intone "not so?

Anonymous said...

First let me state that I am Barack Obama supporter and I am African-American. Having said that, I have a problem with people response to Tavis Smiley right to critique Obama. When I first decided to support Obama it was hard to choose between him or Clinton. I decided to go with the unknown than the known (Her husband policies hurt a lot of African-Americans ie NAFTA, 3 strikes your out, welfare reform) I looked at his community organizing work and that tipped it for me. My intitial support for Obama was not against Clinton.

And to be honest I do not beleive that Obama will make great changes when he become president. I just hope that he begins to reverse the economic trends that started with Reagan presidency plowed through and continues to this day. We are seeing the fruits of the 25 year economic policies that are ripping our various communities asunder. Hopefully the coming years this country will have a new economic/social direction. That is why I voted for Obama.


Yes I have great problem with Clinton trotting out her lawn jockeys (Robert Johnson, Andrew Young etc) and using them as a racist tool to get black folks to vote for her. Her racist campaign strategy disgusts me. Having said that, I hope it does not mean that those of us who support Clinton are to be demonized and those who are critical of Obama are ostracized. No he is not our black savior. We must be able to critique his policies and how it affects black folks like we should any politician. Do we criticize our elected official based on their records or based on how they make us feel.

I want us in engage in political analysis not hero worship or messiah waiting.

One more point. I am from the state of New York and Senator Clinton is our state senator. Even though I support Obama, I have a problem with people being upset that black political officials from New YOrk state support Clinton. I would be against their political best interest to not support her. The politicians have long working relations with her and expect her to deliver to her home state in ways that other not from their home state could/would not.

I think we should not be against Tavis Smiley because he is critical of Obama. We should never be so blinded that we can not think and anaylze.

Anonymous said...

Good brief and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you for your information.