Tuesday, April 5, 2011

The State of Black America: All Talk or Action Too?

 

by Dr. Boyce Watkins, Syracuse University – The Huffington Post 

Today I mentioned to a friend that I was looking forward to analyzing the report on the State of Black America issued by the Urban League every year. The person responded to my comment with an interesting question. He said, "Do these gatherings actually lead to action or is it a matter of people just getting together to produce cute little sound bites?"

I thought about the person's question and wanted to give an answer that made sense. But when my mind referenced prior gatherings similar to the State of Black America, I realized that there are times when black leadership seems to be re-living scenes from the movie Ground Hog Day. In the film, Bill Murray's character keeps living the same day over and over again, making no progress in his life. Like Bill Murray's character, Black America remains a bit stagnant, primarily because of our stubborn insistence upon using the same methods to solve the same problems, only to get the same old results.

Click to read.

No comments: